- The market started off last day of the year on a positive note. The Sensex rose 36.08 points to 25996.11 and the Nifty gained 9.25 points at 7905.50.
- The Indian rupee opened lower by 6 paise at 66.45 per dollar on Thursday against previous day's closing value of 66.39 a dollar.
- Asian share markets looked set to end a rough, volatile year on a subdued note on Thursday as a renewed slide in oil prices sapped sentiment, a baleful trend that shows every sign of lingering into 2016.
- Coal India, Dr Reddy's Labs, Infosys, Tata Steel, Hindalco and Idea Cellular were early gainers while ONGC, NTPC, ICICI Bank, HUL, Adani Ports, PNB, Power Grid Corporation and BPCL lost ground.
- Markets are likely to operate in 2016 with an assumption of 3-4 US Fed rate hikes which should continue to result in dollar strength.